Skip to main content

Relationships: 5 Ways to Apologize


Because we are relational beings we tend to offend others and step on each other’s toe but then if we want to maintain a peaceful life and continue to enjoy our relationship with them we must know how to apologize. And because we are different and unique, each of us has a way of which we want the apology to be expressed.

No wonder sometimes we apologize and it seems the other person is not satisfied. It’s not that you didn’t apologize just that you didn’t express it in the language they will understand. You must therefore understand the apology language of the other person in other for both of you to be reconciled.

Therefore let me share with you five ways you express apology
Expressing Regret: "I am sorry." "I feel badly that my behavior has hurt you so deeply." This language identifies with the emotions of the offended party.

Accepting Responsibility: "I was wrong." Name your mistake and accept fault. "I should not have done that. There's no excuse. What I did was wrong."

Making Restitution: "What could I do to make this right? How can I make amends to you? How could I restore your confidence in me?"

Genuine Repentance: "I'll try not to do that again." Repentance doesn't make rash promises, such as "I promise I'll never do it again if you'll forgive me." However, repentance does express the desire to change one's behavior. "I don't want this to continue happening. Help me think of ways I can change my behavior."

Requesting Forgiveness: "Will you please forgive me?" This language expresses humility. "I realize I can't restore this relationship alone. It will require mercy on your part, but my sincere desire is that you will forgive me and we can continue our relationship."

Please stop making the mistake of using the word but in your apologies. Anytime you say, "I'm sorry, but if you hadn't …. then, I wouldn't …" you've negated your apology. You end up blaming the other person for your wrong behavior. Now you owe a second apology!

Have a nice weekend and don’t forget to make peace with anyone you have issues with.

Got any question, comment or observation? Send it to ableabayomi@gmail.com

©theINSIGHT 2015
@ableabayomi


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Favour Demystified

W elcome to another Wednesday’s insight series.  I believe you are set to get another insight today so, let’s dive in. Dictionary defines favour as an act of kindness done or granted out of goodwill. It is also to show preferential treatment to someone. Favour is derived from the same root word as Grace, CHARIS. And this makes favour to be as powerful as grace. But while grace is totally unmerited and unearned, favour can be deserved, gained and entreated. There are two dimensions of favour; favour with God and favour with man. The greatest dimension is to be in favour with God because when you have that, favour with man comes cheaply.  You don’t beg for man’s favour when you are in favour with God, God himself will cause men to favour you-He will cause you to find favour with people regardless of how high and mighty they are.  Another truth about favour is that it does not have prejudice for colour, race, gender or location. You’re a candidate for favour as long...

August; Sudden Visitations

I remember anytime someone visits us unexpectedly we say this is an August visitor. We are surprised at the coming of the person and at the same time the person is highly welcomed. This actually doesn't mean the person came in August but it just denotes the arrival of an important person unexpectedly. Sudden Visitations brings with it surprises and blessings. For example, when God visited Sarah, barrenness was terminated, when He visited Obededom suddenly, Obededom became prosperous, when He visited Paul and Silas, their bond was loosed. And when he visits you too, your desires are met. Therefore, in this month of August, there shall be unexpected arrival of great things in your life. God will visit you this month. And understand that when God visits you, He doesn't come empty handed, He comes with a gift for you. I'm so full of assurance that you will have testimonies this month. Your head shall be lifted up, your hands shall be made strong , your feet shall be str...